Monday, June 02, 2008

Unexpected progress!

Some people probably gave up on me(or Dune or both), but don't worry, I haven't given up yet. It's just that I've been way too busy with other things in my life(Which got twisted upside. But I didn't move in with my auntie and uncle in Bel Air).

Last friday, I had my laptop with me and I was like, what if I open up Dune and start coding for a bit again? And so it happened. I coded, and debugged the code I had written, and debugged more, and yelled at my laptop. I really had to look back at older code to see how far I was, and how I solved certain issues. And to be honest, I solved quite a lot of things in a clever way.

Last weekend, I managed to finish up the lobby / loading / synchronizing part. It now successfully manages to synchronize all the data between the lobby/clients, and then starts the game, including units. Each player gets an auto-assigned starting location when they connect(At the moment, since I haven't added in start points to the maps yet). After the game is done loading, it shows everything like a regular single-player game, except the controls are currently disabled.
Lobby-server awaiting another player to join. Player numbers are currently fixed.

Minor bug with the sidebar during loading. Still need to fix that, but it's not too important at the moment.

And we're live! This shows up on both sides.

Next step is to re-enable the player controls. But instead of immediatly executing all the actions, I need to buffer them, send them to the server and have the server distribute this to all clients again. I already isolated the calls which I need to buffer, so I only need to build the mechanism to actually buffer them, broadcast them around and execute them when needed. Still need to figure out how I'm going to do that.

1 comment:

CiarĂ¡n McCormack said...

Welcome back Toolmaker! I've missed the blog entries over the past few months.