Friday, March 23, 2007

Dual-Core ready!

I did some coding in the past days when riding the train. However, when I moved my code from my desktop to my laptop(which has an AMD x2 in it), I noticed movement had crawled to a slow.

I tried to fix the problems with setting ProcessAffinity, ThreadAffinity and whatnot, which all failed horribly. Eventually Mithrandir pointed out that DateTime.Now has a Ticks property, which holds the number of 100 nanosecond thinks since 1 jan 0001. I re-write my FpsCounter class to use that, and since then, it worked like a charm again.

So, if I recall correct, I was working on the unit rotation code, so I'm back to checking out the status of it, and probably re-write it completely. I remember it was flaky last time I was working on it. After that, I'll add some weapons.

On other news: These Tower-Defense games are all hawt all the sudden. Perhaps I'll write a little one myself using the current dune 2 remake engine. Shouldn't take too long once the building construction stuff is in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Stefan here, yes author of Dune 2 - The Maker.

Looks nice how you're doing.

Hope it will be finished soon enough.

I also visited your own website, you're delivering software for people ? And you go to school? I am kind of puzzled in how you can deliver, as i am quite interested in such a construction.

FYI Dune 2 - The Maker aint dead either.. ;-)

Toolmaker said...

Stefan: From all the people following my progress, it's quite cool you're checking this out!

Well, I don't do alot of software dev myself at the moment. I about 5 clients for whom I do system administration. As for software dev: I usually have small jobs which I can cough up in a weekend. I also spend quite some time on clients after class and during the time I spend between class. Altho I do miss class occassionally...