Saturday, July 14, 2007

Bugtracker update #2

It's been a while since I updated... I've been really busy. Since the summer vacation begun, I found myself a summer job. Right now I'm a system administrator at a large company. My job is to check out how Windows Vista will fit in the existing environment and how the group policies behave in them, since Vista doesn't eat the older formats. I also have to take over the responsibilities of the other system administrator when he's off on vacation.

I just continued with experimenting with bug trackers. I tried to install Trac, and failed. The reason: It seems it can create an sqlite database, but no matter where I try to create it, it just fails. If I create it in the root of the C drive, it fails with the error Access Denied, and if I use an existing directory, it screams that I can't create a new directory(Well duh!). So I gave up.

One of the biggest downsides of Trac is that it requires quite a lot of external dependencies. In order to run, you either need a running Apache configuration with CGI / FastCGI / mod_python installed. You need sqlite(Since MySQL is very experimental. And to be honest, I don't like to run experimental stuff on my development environment).

So: Bugzilla is left. I've decided not to install / try any paid trackers, since those are outside my budget anyway.

One a sidenote: I did have some more time with Mantis this week. Even tho it lacks SVN integration, it's still a pretty nice system. I like it, and if Bugzilla doesn't behave better, I'll go with Mantis and setup a SVN integration system. I can't remember the name right now, but it's capable of glueing Mantis / Bugzilla to SVN.

1 comment:

Corey said...

So what was the end of the bug tracker story? I'm kind of collecting links to folks who have evaluated bug trackers hands-on.

See my
comparison of issue trackers