Friday, April 14, 2006

Map Editor on the way!

One of the basic things in Dune II was the map. So I decided to dedicate myself first at making a proper mapformat, have it load and look good.

I first started with a normal WinForms app, but soon decided I needed to share a lot of common information between this and my ingame map class. So I decided to have my editor use Direct3D itself for the map rendering, and shove all the map specific things(And probably more) into a common DLL.

Right now, I have the DLL and the normal game working again, and I was working on integrating it all into the editor, when I decided I needed to install my Windows 2003 server(I now had access to a spare monitor and keyboard and the space to set it up).

So, I installed it, and at the moment, I'm installing all the necessary services on it, and then continue to install Apache, PHP, MySQL en Subversion on it. So I can host some sites, do work for clients and run Subversion of the server. Then I can free up some space and resources on my own machine.

Too bad this prevents me from doing more work on the editor and the game, but it's important to get it running.

No comments: