Thursday, August 24, 2006

Carry-alls are a little bitty delayed :P (And some more RTS ideas)

Ok, I was supposed to add carry-alls in a little bit more than just having them fly around in circles... But, I forgot all the maths a bit, so I need to refresh that a bit before continueing.

This is the problem: When the carry-all pilot is chilling in this cockpit flying circles, and a unit wants to be picked up, it places itself in the carry-all queue. All the idle carry-alls check the queue each update cycle, and when there's a unit in it, it will take the unit from the queue, fly it's circle into the correct angle, and then set course to the unit. However, I for some reason, couldn't get the correct angle out of the calculation. So, I'm going to spend some time on working out the maths for it. Probably a few sinuses and cosinuses.

I hoped to work that out today, but I ended up helping a friend with her house. I helped her paint, and since I had to travel to my hometown by train, I spend 3 ~ 3.5 hours in the train total. So I'll do that tomorrow in the train.

New RTS idea - Auto-repairing

I think most of us hate it in most RTSes, during an attack, quickly click on the repair icon and click like a maniac on all buildings to make sure they're in top condition. At least, I hate it.

What I want, is another screen where you can set the auto-repair settings, ranging from "No auto-repair" to "Keep at maximum health". This also means it's easy to keep your buildings in top shape, so I might add a little bit of difficulty to it: You get the first 70% for free, and by doing upgrades, you can increase the percentage up to 100%.

Also, I'm also considering to add a money cache, in which you can say: Keep at least XXX credits for repairs. When you set this to 200 credits, all construction halts at 200 credits, and the remainder of the money is used for building/unit repairs. This is extremely usefull in case your base is undersiege so you don't run out of credits.

Awaiting pickup icon

I've been playing Dune 2000 in the past 2 days(Man, it kills production), and in D2K units have a green arrow pointing upwards when they're awaiting carry-all pickup. I might add that aswell, since it's quite annoying to see a unit standing idle(for instance a harvester), you order to return to the refinery, and the pickup order is cancelled and re-issued.

That's it for tonight. Right now: I'm going to spend 15 minutes on the math stuffness, and then I'm off to bed.

No comments: