Friday, June 01, 2007

Construction is in... Now building placement

Over the past few weeks I've slowly implemented construction of buildings. It's possible to now select a build icon from the sidebar and add it to a construction queue. Each building checks every update cycle(But only when idle) if there's a queued up item, it takes from the queue and starts 'building' it.

When done, it informs the player object about it, which can then take the appropriate action. A human player will see a message / hear a sound and an AI will place it directly.

I'm currently working on implementing the building placement. However, I still don't know how to fully implement it. I currently have a GameInputHandler which handles that part of the input(Do the picking, context sensitive cursor, etc.). But, I need to change it around to be less, messy.

Also, I've been thinking about adding a feature for hearing impaired. One of my current projectmates for a college project is deaf, and one of his biggest issue with most RTS games is that he never gets a message about that his base is being raped. (He usually notices that he's getting his ass kicked when it's too late...) Well, there is a warning, but without working hearing, he can't hear it. So I want to add an optional screen message, which blinks in the middle of the screen. Simple to add, and usefull for those who can't use sounds or can't hear. Having people in your projectgroup which have a minor disability widens your view a bit.

No comments: